Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Eng-Leash

I have come across a word "Phobophobia" today. I've learnt that it is a term given to refer the fear of phobias. For a while, I could do nothing but laugh at it. I don't know why it sounded funny to me. Its great that we have such a vast collection of words in English. Though my regular attempts to build my vocabulary never turned out successful, I adore the language and admire the inventors of words for their effort (I wish I could be one!). But, of what use is the vast language when only few of us are well acquainted with most of the words? And most of us are happy to use the few words that we know.

The purpose of a language, I think, is to communicate in a meaningful way that the others could understand. To express myself correctly, I should choose the right words. But, the purpose of communication is not served if the other person doesn't understand what I'm talking, even though I use the right words. Building vocabulary is important. Choosing the words that we use in an apt manner is important too.

When I started writing this one, I really didn't want to write anything about English. I only wanted to write it in good and decent English. Finally, I ended up writing something. :)

2 comments:

DHARMA TEJA said...

ur purpose is served.. I gt ur point as perfect as hitting the bull's eye

Srisudha said...

thats enough :)

My Pencil Sketches